LAS VEGAS, NEVADA
CLARK COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT
This project called for the modernization and replacement of an outdated inner city school with the same state-of-the-art facility being constructed in Southern Nevada’s newest residential neighborhoods.
The building, built on top of existing athletic fields, opened in July 2006. The original school buildings, built in 1955, were then demolished and replaced with football, baseball and soccer fields, tennis courts and a track.
A dramatic interior plaza, located at the main entry, serves as the hub of student activity for this closed campus. The large multipurpose space at the heart of the school is equipped with wireless web capabilities. This area of the school acts as a thermal buffer between the classroom blocks and helps dampen temperature swings in the adjacent spaces.
An innovative mechanical system allows the mall to be treated as a semi-conditioned space, cooled with reclaimed air that would normally be exhausted outdoors from the classrooms. At night, when temperatures fall below 80 degrees, the mechanical system draws in 100 percent fresh air to cool the mall.
Thermal mass in the masonry walls and stained concrete floors helps combat temperature increases throughout the day. To further reduce energy costs, classrooms with exterior windows are equipped with daylight sensors. Occupancy sensors in each classroom turn the lights off when a space is not in use, and the entire interior lighting system is automatically turned off when the building alarm is set.
To reduce water consumption, artificial turf is used for athletic fields and the campus is landscaped with hardscape elements and indigenous desert plants.