Bureau of Reclamation Date Street Buildings
Boulder City, Nevada
Bureau of Reclamation
2012. NAIOP Sustainable Impact Award
TSK has worked with the Bureau of Reclamation in Boulder City, Nevada at their historic Date Street Campus since 2011. In that time, we have master planned the campus, designed over 100,000 square feet of new construction and renovation space, and designed over 10 acres of site improvements.
Redevelopment of the former Bureau of Mines campus began with the Lower Colorado Regional Office Building (Building 1400). The 49,000 square feet, two-story office building draws on precedents from the historic buildings on the campus and merges characteristics of the architectural styles of Buildings 100 and 200 in a manner respectful of the historic neighborhoods surrounding the campus and the historically industrial use of the site to create a contemporary office building to house 150 employees consolidated from 6 disparate locations in Boulder City.
The interiors reflect the Bureau’s rich history in the Lower Colorado River region using stylized historic imagery of Hoover Dam construction throughout the space as wall graphics, gabion walls filled with tailings from the mountains blasted away from the Black Canyon to make way for the dam, and a mosaic from regional core drilling samples. These details fuse the legacy of the agency into the architecture of the space. The building attained LEED Platinum level certification and achieved Net Zero energy consumption after the Phase II solar farm installation. Principles of daylighting incorporated provide 80 percent of the spaces to be daylit and more than 90 percent of the occupants to have direct views to the outside. Open office spaces with exposed steel frames allow daylight to penetrate deep into the workspaces and provide maximum flexibility and reconfiguration opportunities for the work environment.
During construction of Building 1400, a master plan effort was initiated to create a campus feel, providing walkable connections between buildings, develop drainage swales to naturally irrigate landscape spaces, develop a distributed hydronic system for greater energy efficiency, and create a unifying edge to the campus.
Upon completion of Building 1400 and the associated site improvements, work began on Buildings 100 and 200. Building 100 is a single-story masonry structure with exposed wood rafters, pitched clay tile roof and steel divided-lite windows. Building 100 originally served as the Bureau of Mines administrative office and laboratory space. Built in 1941, it is on the State’s historic register and great care was required to rehabilitate and restore the building to its original appearance and meet State Historic Preservation Office requirements. The 10,800 square foot building has been repurposed to serve as the campus Conference Center. The building is served by a displacement ventilation system which helped it to achieve LEED Gold certification.
Building 200 was built in 1931 as the vehicle repair garage for Six Companies during the construction of Hoover Dam. The building is high-volume, steel framed, clad with corrugated metal and originally had roll-up doors on the south and ribbon windows on the north, east and west facades. Also on the State’s historic register, the new design removed many of the appurtenances and materials that were not compatible with the historic appearance of the building. A mezzanine was designed to take advantage of the high-volume space and add usable area to the building. The 15,300 square foot building now serves as the campus printing facility, security office, high density archives and graphic design offices. The building’s upgraded envelope and high efficiency systems helped it to also achieve LEED Gold certification.